Homeworks academic writing service

A report on the life leadership and vision of crazy horse

Crazy Horse, more precisely called the man with the spirited or crazy horse, was born somewhere between 1840 and 1845 in to the Oglala Lakota tribe, a spiritual division of the Sioux.

He rose to become the leader of that tribe and is most famed for leading one of the Indian war party to victory at the Battle of Little Bighorn in 1876. Through traditional Lakota vision quests and fighting prowess skirmishes both with traditional enemy tribes and the colonial settlers, Crazy Horse grew in stature and respect among his people.

He became a regular leader of large war parties of mixed Lakota and Cheyenne warriors. His luck was reversed in The Wagon Box fight due to the unpredicted arrival of new breech loading rifles that reloaded faster and allowed three times as many rounds per seconds to be fired. His end was sad for a warrior. He surrendered with his tribe, weakened by the cold and hunger of a harsh winter.

His death in captivity remains controversial. He was stabbed in the back, supposedly in the confusion and trying to violently escape and being held back by friends. Hayden On the afternoon of September 9, 1876, 600 to 800 Lakota warriors led by Oglala leader Crazy Horse rode to the crests of some hills overlooking a broad depression near the Slim Buttes range of western Dakota Territory.

What they saw below must have turned their stomachs. The village of Minneconjou Lakota leader American Horse lay in ruin. Most of the 40 lodges had been demolished, with dead ponies and personal belongings scattered about. Soldiers were everywhere, far more than Crazy Horse had expected to see. They were not shooting their guns now—there was no need to. No Indians were in sight.

Crazy Horse and his warriors had been called from their village some 10 miles away. The bluecoats had attacked and must be driven off. But Crazy Horse had been told there were no more than 150 soldiers, fewer than the number killed earlier that summer along the Greasy Grass in Montana Territory.

Crazy Horse had been there, too, and before that on the Rosebud battlefield. He knew how to fight soldiers. Before him now, though, were more than 1,000 bluecoats. Most of the Indians from the village had fled to the south, and some women and children were captured. American Horse himself had surrendered after he was mortally wounded. Crook immediately had his men form a defensive line around the horses and mules, while other soldiers went ahead and set the Indian village ablaze.

The general then ordered some of his troops into skirmish lines to advance toward the warriors. Four companies of infantry led the way, with dismounted troopers from three cavalry regiments following. As the troops came within range, the Indians rained gunfire down on them, but the troops answered with a furious volume of fire and kept on coming. After 45 minutes of steady fighting, the troops drove most of the warriors from their positions on the hills.

But some of the Lakotas held their ground, and at one point they charged Lt. It took a well-aimed fusillade to drive them away. When the bluecoats pulled a report on the life leadership and vision of crazy horse on September 10 and headed toward the Black Hills, Crazy Horse had his warriors keep up a running fight.

On September 15, Crook finally reached a supply column in the Black Hills and was no doubt glad to have Crazy Horse out of his hair.

During those couple of months in between, avoiding a fight with the bluecoats had not been difficult. After learning of Lt. Meanwhile, the Lakotas had kept on the move, traveling mostly east and burning the grass behind them to deny forage to the horses of any soldiers who might follow. Crazy Horse had too few warriors to attack the soldiers in force, but he did all he could to resist the white intruders in Paha Sapa, the sacred Black Hills.

Alone or with a few friends, he attacked miners and others, and then brought the spoils home to his a report on the life leadership and vision of crazy horse. One time he returned to his village with mules loaded with goods, and another time he brought sacks of raisins that the Indian children happily gobbled up.

What he could not obtain enough of, though, was ammunition. They settled in for the winter near Hanging Woman Creek.

They died because the snow froze hard and they could not find enough grass that was left in the valleys and there was not enough cottonwood to feed them all. There had been thousands of us together that summer, but there were not two thousand now. He had 2,200 soldiers and more than 400 Indian scouts, including 60 Sioux from the agencies. His cavalry was commanded by Colonel Ranald Mackenzie and his infantry by Lt.

There, Crook learned that some Indians had gone to warn Crazy Horse of his approach. At that point, the general changed his plan, sending Mackenzie and the cavalry to attack the Northern Cheyenne village of Dull Knife and Wild Hog, some 37 miles away on the Red Fork of the Powder River.

Mackenzie hit the village at dawn on November 25 and destroyed it. Some 40 Cheyenne men, women and children were killed. The rest escaped, but only with the clothes on their backs. For two weeks they trudged northward through the snow and subfreezing temperatures to reach their only source of help, the village of Crazy Horse. Several people, mostly children, died along the way.

Crazy Horse took in the surviving refugees, feeding, clothing and sheltering them as best he could. Some of the Northern Cheyennes left the village to surrender to the whites at Camp Robinson. Crazy Horse, whose following at the time consisted of about 250 lodges, struggled with that concept and, according to Black Elk, began to act even queerer than usual.

He would not come, but sometimes he would tell the people what to do. People wondered if he ate anything at all. A report on the life leadership and vision of crazy horse my father found him out alone like that, and he said to my father: But do not worry; there are caves and holes for me to live in and out here the spirits may help me.

I am making plans for the good of my people. Miles, who had established a cantonment at the mouth of the Tongue River and would soon build Fort Keogh nearby. By mid-December, Crazy Horse had come to agree with those Lakota leaders who said it was in their best interests to talk peace with Miles. A delegation of 25 Lakotas and Northern Cheyennes made the trip. As they drew close to Cantonment Tongue River, five of them went ahead, carrying two white flags of truce. The Crows greeted the Lakotas, shaking their hands, but then, without warning, one of the Crows pulled a pistol and shot the Minneconjou Gets Fat With Beef.

The Crows surrounded the others and killed them too. The murders did not sit well with Miles, who ordered the remaining Crows disarmed and their horses seized.

He sent the Lakotas the guns and the horses and a letter of apology, assuring them that the white men had nothing to do with the killings. Crazy Horse did not buy it. Clearly, the whites still could not be trusted, and he wanted revenge.

  • He was stabbed in the back, supposedly in the confusion and trying to violently escape and being held back by friends;
  • Most of the Indians from the village had fled to the south, and some women and children were captured;
  • Still smarting from his failure to defeat Crazy Horse at the Rosebud and jealous of Colonel Miles, Crook agreed when Red Cloud volunteered to go out and hurry the Oglala leader along;
  • As the troops came within range, the Indians rained gunfire down on them, but the troops answered with a furious volume of fire and kept on coming;
  • Hold on to your life crazy horse is quoted as saying while he sat smoking the sacred pipe with sitting bull for the last time meditation and vision.

Most of the other Indian leaders agreed with him. They held a council and decided to send a decoy party to draw the soldiers away from the post and into an ambush by the main body of warriors. The decoy party struck the post on December 26, 1876, stealing nearly 250 head of cattle and driving them south. On December 28, Miles himself set out with three companies A, C and E of the 5th Infantry, eight scouts, a 12-pounder Napoleon cannon and a 3-inch rifled Rodman gun.

A report on the life leadership and vision of crazy horse

In all, Miles had 436 men in the field. The decoy party allowed Miles to follow it southwest through the Tongue River valley, engaging in small-scale skirmishes with his rear guard on January 1 and 3, 1877. The deep snow and freezing temperatures made conditions difficult for everyone, but the soldiers were better prepared. They wore buffalo coats over layers of clothing, as well as fur caps, rubber overshoes and warm mittens.

Crazy Horse

The decoy party was leading him to a spot near Prairie Dog Creek, where the ambush was supposed to take place. Miles now knew that Crazy Horse was close.

But a Northern Cheyenne warrior, Big Horse, had seen the soldiers seize the others, and he immediately went off to warn Crazy Horse that the troops were coming. Things did not work out as planned because the element of surprise was lost when the decoy party, fearing the nine captives might be killed by the soldiers, sprang the ambush early.

By the time these bluecoats arrived, more than 100 Indians were in the fight. Small-arms fire was exchanged for more than an hour before the soldiers opened up with an artillery piece that forced the warriors to retreat into the rocky hills to the south.

To the northwest and southeast of camp rose rugged hills, and about a half mile to the south was a high, cone-shaped butte that came to be called Battle Butte. In the falling snow, they maneuvered their way to the hills northwest of the camp. At about 7 a. The attackers were driven back by rifle fire and a few well-placed rounds of artillery.

The Indians regrouped and charged again and again, but each time they were repulsed. Despite the intensity of fire, nobody was killed on either side. They provided cover for warriors under Northern Cheyenne leader Medicine Bear, who crossed the river southwest of the camp and headed to the hills south of Battle Butte. Another group of Northern Cheyennes, under medicine man Big Crow, and warriors from the decoy party came up from the south and took positions on three ridges between Crazy Horse and Medicine Bear.

Seeing this threat, Miles ordered Company A, 5th Infantry, under Captain James Casey, to advance through the deep snow toward the ridges. Casey proceeded to capture the first, and lowest, of the ridges. When he tried to move to the higher ridges, Indian resistance stiffened and his attack stalled.

Meanwhile, Big Crow tried to inspire his warriors by dancing along the summit of the third ridge, daring anyone to shoot him. His dancing and taunting went on for some time as bullets whizzed past him from 100 soldiers in the valley below.

Finally, two soldiers from Company D, firing from the second ridge, dropped the daring Big Crow. His death discouraged some of the Northern Cheyennes, but other kinsmen fought on, as did the Lakotas.